Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why hello again. Guess it didn't take me too long to get back in here to give you an another peak into our little lives and how things are going.

As some of you well know, Jeff went out of town last Wed-Sunday to Austin for SXSW. For those unfamiliar, it's a unorganized cluster-f*#k sh*t-show in Austin where thousands of bands go to be heard. Jeff usually spends at least 100 hrs prepping for said event. His attempt is to make the most of it while seeing upwards of 25 bands a day. I decided years ago to never attempt SXSW with Jeff again. If you've ever been to a concert or concerts with Jeff you'd know why. It's intense. And while I could hang for a day, I'd never last. I'd be dead weight. So instead, I bake a dish for him and his friends and send him off to enjoy some time away with just the guys.

House updates - our yard is a wreck.  Weeds everywhere, dead tree, dead "flower" bed, and a leak in the front yard.  I hired a guy to help clear out all the crap in both front and back yard.  Still a work in progress.  Temp. set back getting the water leak in the front yard repaired.  This is the third time in 2 years the main water line sprung a leak and this time I decided to just replace the whole line.  Too bad the city won't pay for this - anything in our yard is our problem. I saved us a couple hundred dollars by having our helper, Raul, dig this massive 50 foot long, 12 inches deep trench for the plumbers to place with a new pipe.  Instead of running another copper line, we decided on black poly.  It's more flexible, stronger and cheaper than copper.  So now we have a new line but need to fill the trench and patch with new sod.  No idea when that will happen.  Crape Myrtles need to be trimmed back too.  No idea when that will happen either.  Good thing for daylight savings, but still not able to find time to do it.  Hannah might let me get started on it after work tomorrow so we'll see.  To add to the current yard disasters, yesterday I got home from work to find our outdoor canopy demolished.  A huge branch from the dead tree in our back yard gave way to 25 mph winds and came crashing down on it.  Leaving us with glass shattered everywhere and a gaping hole in it's top.  At least it didn't hit the roof, right? Sigh.

Hannah is doing pretty well. We think some bottom teeth moving their way up. She's been drooling like crazy and chewing on everything. Two weekends ago was hell for us all as we battled through what seemed to be the worst of her teething yet. No teeth though! Hannah is still doing fairly well with sleeping at night. She doesn't nap much during the day while at daycare but is sure to sleep 11-12 hrs at night. Her bedtime is 7pm and we stick to it. We've tried extending the time but that doesn't make her or us very happy. When I explain to people that Hannah is in bed by 7pm every night I usually get shocked responses. Mostly from non-parents but also from some fellow parents. They ask "why so early?" or "I keep my kiddo up late bc I want to hang out with him/her". Naturally, I feel a little defensive because I wonder if they think I don't want to hang out with our baby in the evenings too? Whatever the case may be, it's just one of those situations where I smile politely and usually offer nothing more than a minuscule explanation. We know what's best for our child and if that means a 7pm bedtime, so be it.  Hannah sits up pretty well on her own now. She's not crawling yet, but she seems curious. My friend, Hannah, was in town this weekend and showed me how I could help teach her how to crawl. I'm not so sure I really want Hannah mobile quite yet, but admit it was pretty cool to watch her on her hands and knees a few times. The look on her face was priceless. She'd get in the position (with my help) and once there she'd smile so big! Pretty cool. I have a couple videos I'll post for you to see.

Today I leave work early to take Hannah to another doctors appt.  This one is for part two of the flu shot.  Poor girl gets so pissed when she gets shots!  Some friends lead me onto this application called Sparkabilities for babies so maybe that'll be a fun distraction.  We'll see.  Wish us luck!